Introduction to Advanced Manufacturing Technology
Instructor: Professor Lihong Qiao （乔立红）
Office: Room A846, New Main Building
Tel. :82317708 Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Mailbox for homework: email@example.com
The purpose of this course is to introduce and familiarize the students with modern techniques of product design and manufacturing with a special focus on computer applications in design and manufacturing. Various topics in computers in manufacturing, computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-aided manufacturing (CAM), rapid prototyping and 3D printing, virtual engineering, numerical control, environmentally conscious design, intelligent manufacturing, as well as some selected technologies in manufacturing such as design for assembly/manufacturing and global manufacturing will be discussed.
Computers in Manufacturing
Components of CAM Systems
CAD/CAM Technologies Trends
Experiment on NC programming and machining
Components of Virtual Engineering
Applications of Virtual Engineering
Rapid Prototyping and Additive Manufacturing
Specific Rapid Prototyping Technologies
Applications of Rapid Prototyping
Progress in Additive Manufacturing
Environmentally Conscious Design and Manufacturing
Green Design and Manufacturing Technologies
Applications and Case Studies
Knowledge Engineering Practice
Discussions and Presentations:
Design for Assembly
Design for Manufacturing
Design for X
Manufacturing Simulation (machining, assembly, production line, etc)
Intelligent manufacturing/Smart manufacturing
• Attendance and in class presentation: 10%
• Homework: 50% （10% +40%）
• Final course report: 40%
Policies on Attendance:
1. Students are expected to attend each class without tardiness and are responsible for all announcements and lecture materials presented in class. Students are required to submit all homework and final course report on time.
2. Students should not engage in private conversations with each other during class. Cell phones are not permitted to be used during class.
Text Book and Reference Books:
3. Kuang-Hua Chang. Design Theory and Methods Using CAD/CAE: The Computer Aided Engineering Design Series. 2014.
4. Emad Abouel Nasr, Ali K. Kamrani, Computer-Based Design and Manufacturing: An Information-Based Approach, Springer, 2007.
5. Ian Gibson, David Rosen, Brent Stucker. Additive Manufacturing Technologies - 3D Printing, Rapid Prototyping, and Direct Digital Manufacturing, Second Edition, Springer, 2014.
6. James A. Regh and Henry W. Kraebber, Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, Prentice-Hall Inc., 2001. （English reprint: 计算机集成制造，机械工业出版社，2003）.
7. Suk-Hwan Suh, Seong Kyoon Kang, Dae-Hyuk Chung, Ian Stroud. Theory and Design of CNC Systems, Springer, 2008.
8. Wasim Ahmed Khan, Abdul Raouf, Kai Cheng. Virtual Manufacturing, Springer, 2011.